California Governor Gavin Newsom said he’s releasing thousands of prisoners but that doesn’t necessarily include some of the state’s sickest patients.
Patricia Wright is a (68) year old blind black woman diagnosed with Terminal Liver Cancer and Kidney Failure. She is serving a prison sentence of Life Without the Possibility of Parole at the California Institution of Woman in Corona, California.
On April 12, 2020, Patricia’s doctor wrote a letter to Governor Newsom requesting her release. Her doctor stated in the letter that Patricia had six months left to live. Patricia could die sooner due to the danger of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the prison. Several prison guards and prison inmates have tested Positive for COVID-19. There have been reports of prison inmates dying at the California Institution for Women due to COVID-19.
Governor Newsom’s office responded by referring the letter to the California Department of Corrections and Rehab. On May 21, 2020, Kelly Medina from California Department of Corrections wrote, “The inmate you are inquiring about is sentenced to Life Without the Possibility of Parole (LWOP) and is not identified as eligible.”
In September of last year and in March of this year Governor Newsom commuted the sentences of fourteen prison inmates with the same sentence of life without the possibility of parole. This is why we are calling on the public to support Patricia Wright’s commutation to be released. Listed below you will find the 14 names of the inmates commuted by Governor Newsom. Patricia Wrights name needs to be added to this list.
1. Andrew Crater, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
2. Jacob Felix, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
3. Crystal Jones, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
4. Marcus McJimpson, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
5. Doris Roldan, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
6. Luis Velez, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
7. Allen Burnett, sentence commuted, 09/13/19
8. Steven Bradley, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
9. Rosemary Dyer, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
10. Samuel Eldredge, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
11. James Harris, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
12. Joanne Parks, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
13. Ramon Rodriguez, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
14. Richard Flowers, sentence commuted, 03/27/20.
You can also help Patricia by adding your signature to the petition urging Governor Newsom to commute her sentence. Support Patricia Wrights petition here: https://www.change.org/p/blind-inmate-with-terminal-cancer-requests-california-governor-to-commute-sentence?use_react=false
Patricia Wright may not have much time left to live and all she really wants is to spend the time she has left with her family.
See below to read the letter Dr. Kristen Marie Anderson wrote to Governor Newsom on Patricia’s behalf.